Friday, July 29, 2011

Annabel Langbein was my first.

You never forget your first they say.  And I'm inclined to agree.

The first time I won a competition as a child was when I was 11 or so.  We went to the Bromley School Fair and I entered a raffle.  Handing over my twenty cents I was so hopeful.  And when I found out I'd won I was stoked.  Then they gave me my prize.  A homemade clown.  Well made.  But a clown no less.  Not to sound ungrateful but it was something of a win fail.  Clowns freaked me out and this one was shut in my wardrobe along with Lisa the blonde haired blue eyed doll that could walk by herself if you pressed the walk button.  Terrifying.

Anyway, since then I've not won any competition.  Lady Luck left me.  Probably due to being so hateful towards someone's painstaking hard work and creativity.

For whatever reason, maybe because she believes in second chances, Lady Luck recently returned in the form of a Twitter competition.  I retweeted a post from Annabel Langbein's team and won her book Celebrate, which features cake recipes among other things.  I was on Twitter when the announcement post came through saying I'd won.  And it's fair to say that little old loser me was was shaking with joy.

Not wanting to aggravate Lady Luck again I quickly whipped up a cake for a friends birthday.  It was The Hummingbird Cake.  And this was the result.


And guess what, all that delectable icing wasn't hiding a fail either ... check out the inside ...

YUM.

So, to the Annabel Langbein team and to Annabel herself - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  My first competition win as an adult and the prize was a real winner!

(And to Lady Luck, thanks for visiting, if you want to stick around for a while and perhaps give me the winning Lotto numbers tonight that'd be great.  Just imagine all the cakes I could bake with 17 million.)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your prize. I'm a competition junkie myself and my 'haul' of prizes has been quite amazing over the years but I never fail to get super-excited to find out I've won even the teeniest prize!
    http://bloggingcafechick.blogspot.com/2009/01/competition-junkie.html

    I LOVE hummingbird cake and it goes so well with cream cheese icing. What will you make next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, I'm not sure what I'll make next. Maybe the lemon & vanilla butterfly cupcakes ... or angel raspberry layer cake, yum!

    ReplyDelete