Monday, March 7, 2011

3 Nights, 3 Hotels.

After far too long I recently took a trip to what I consider to be the most stylish city in New Zealand, Wellington.

Late at night the husband and I arrived at our first destination The Intercontinental where we planned to spend two nights, only to be told.

"I'm sorry we've no room for you.  We've overbooked."

I haven't thrown a tantrum since I was 16 or so, but my blood did begin to boil until they said ...

"We've booked you into another hotel for the night, The Holiday Inn."

Cue more blood boiling as I imagined some three star bed bug filled pit.

"We'll pay for the accommodation, breakfast tomorrow and taxis to get you to and from, you can come back here tomorrow and we'll give you a $139 room credit."

Blood doesn't stop boiling ... but as there wasn't much we could do we went along with their plans and took a taxi to The Holiday Inn ... all of a five minute walk away if that.  And what a gorgeous hotel The Holiday Inn was.  (Cue the cooling of the blood)  Beautifully presented, comfortable bed, spacious bathroom (with a mirror that doesn't fog up!) and really nice complimentary shampoo/conditioner/body wash/lotion/sewing kit/vanity kit.  I was happy as a pig in mud.

Photo not taken at hotel, does not show full range of fabulousness.

The next day we checked out and headed back to the Intercontinental who had a room ready for us by 10am - bless their cotton socks.  Once again I investigated the complimentary items - once again very nice but with extras like a nail file and cuticle thingymabob and this soft cloth which I assume is for cleaning glasses, well that's what I'm using it for!  The room was nice, although a touch retro and the staff were absolutely lovely as was the using of the room credit (cue slightly tipsy wife).
Intercontinental goodness

On the last morning we packed up and moseyed along the waterfront to our final destination The Copthorne Oriental Bay.  Once again we checked in early asking to leave our bags behind and once again they already had our room ready so we could go up early - yay!  Out of all the complimentary freebies there's were more generic with 'conditioning shampoo' which just doesn't work on my semi-curly hair.  However the inroom TV was top notch and the bar area was the best of all with views of the harbour and sun streaming in.  The perfect place to consume a wine or two while reading a book.


What started as a 'are you kidding me, where's my can of whoop ass' moment became three wonderful days discovering three excellent hotels in New Zealand's capital city.  All three with superb facilities, superior service and within walking difference of my beloved Cuba Corner.  ... my only regret?  Not taking the Intercontinental rubber ducky which I think might have been complimentary - I love me some rubber ducky goodness!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment